Best Combi Boiler Guide
Choosing The Best Combi Boiler: Our Guide
Buying a new boiler is always a task that’s fraught with lots of decisions so getting the best combi boiler is paramount to a warm and happy home.
What type of boiler do you choose? What size boiler do you need? Where should you buy it from? What warranty length is best for you?
Once you know what type of boiler you want for your home, the decisions slowly get easier. As such, this is the first consideration that you should make when choosing a new boiler.
If you decide that a combi boiler is the best boiler for you, then you need to find a make and model that you like.
Many boiler brands offer combi boilers, so you need to work out which are the best combi boilers on the market and then which one will be great for your home.
There’s a lot of factors to consider when choosing a new boiler replacement, even if you do know that you want a combi boiler.
From what power output you choose to what material its heat exchanger is made from, you need to take a lot into account so that you can get the best combi boiler that will give you a great return on your initial investment.
All of this can be a lot of work, which is why we’ve put together this guide to finding the best combi boiler for your property.
What Is A Combi Boiler?
Before we share our overview of the best combi boilers on the market currently, we thought we’d define a combi boiler so you know what you’re getting.
A combination boiler, which is usually known as a combi boiler, is a compact unit that efficiently provides hot water on-demand for heating and the taps in your home.
A combi boiler heats water on-demand to your taps and central heating, and as such you only need one unit. As this type of boiler heats water as and when you need it, they don’t require bulky additional equipment such as a cold water tank or a hot water storage cylinder.
As a result, these boilers are small, and can easily fit into an airing cupboard or snug recess. Combi boilers are one of the best choices for homeowners who want to save money on their energy bills and reduce their impact on the environment.
However, the downside is that, because of their compact size, combi boilers do not have the capacity to deal with large demands for hot water.
Therefore, a combi boiler is best for small properties, such as flats, bungalows and small houses with few bedrooms and bathrooms.
For these properties, combi boilers can be ideal, as they are cost-effective, both in terms of purchasing and installing the boiler, as well as running it. Sounds great but sometimes combis aren’t always the best boilers for some homes.
What Are The Alternatives To A Combi Boiler?
For some homeowners, a combi might not be the best boiler for your lifestyle. If you have a large property with lots of bedrooms, or you already have a different type of boiler, then combi boilers might not be the best choice.
Combi boilers are one of the most popular types of boiler on the market currently, but they’re not the only one.
The two other most prominent boiler types are system boilers and regular, or heat-only, boilers. These boilers are great for larger homes that need a greater capacity boiler to meet their requirements.
A system boiler is a solution that uses a hot water cylinder to store hot water until it is needed for your home’s central heating system or it has to supply hot water to the taps.
As such, these boilers are slightly larger than combi boilers, but they are also more powerful and can suit larger homes.
Another popular option is regular, or heat-only boilers. These boilers require additional equipment; not just the unit itself and the hot water cylinder, but also a cold water tank and a hot water storage tank.
All of these components form a powerful system that can meet the needs of large properties, such as small commercial premises or expansive family homes with lots of people.
Combi boilers are the most cost-effective of these options, but if you need a more powerful solution then one of these types of boilers could be the best solution.
Many system and regular boilers are designed with energy efficiency in mind so that you can find an energy-efficient option that will save you money on your energy bills and benefit the environment.
Before you make your decision on the type of boiler you want, you should learn more about the types of boiler that you can buy.
Using this information, you can find the best boilers that will suit your needs and give you great service for many years.
Best Combi Boilers right now
Once you’ve decided that combi boilers are the best solution for you, you need to check out the best combi boilers for sale today.
There are hundreds of combi boilers available, so you need to find the right one that will meet your heating and hot water needs.
Searching through the hundreds of brands and combi boilers available on the market might seem time-consuming and stressful, which is why we’ve put together this guide to the best combi boilers that you can buy in 2021.
At Compare Boiler Quotes, we offer a variety of boilers from many different boiler manufacturers and aim to give our clients the best possible boiler prices and boiler installation services.
As such, we’ve encountered most of the combi boilers on the market today. In our boiler advice section, we have plenty of boiler reviews, so you can find out more about the latest releases.
Here’s a round-up of some of the best combi boiler options on the market today, so you can choose a great make and model that will last for you for many years to come.
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000
Part of Worcester Bosch’s renowned Greenstar range, the Greenstar 2000 is an energy-efficient combi boiler.
Worcester Bosch is one of the world’s most respected boiler brands with a long history of producing quality products that are favoured by homeowners and professional heating engineers alike.
Since its humble beginnings in 1962, the firm has flourished, having joined the globally respected Bosch Group in 1996.
Today, the brand is one of the most respected when it comes to boiler technology, and Worcester Bosch boilers are renowned for their efficiency and longevity.
The Worcester Bosch Greenstar range is one of its most popular choices for combi boilers. The Greenstar 2000 epitomises the brand’s commitment to quality and innovation and the excellence of this popular collection.
This compact Worcester Bosch combi boiler, which comes with an output of either 25kW or 30kW, is competitively priced and designed for convenience.
As such, it boasts removable side panels, which allows installers and boiler engineers to easily access the PRV and other internal machinery.
Some of the other benefits of the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000 are:
- The Greenstar 2000 comes with up to a 10-year guarantee, so you can rest assured that if something goes wrong in the first decade, the brand will have it covered
- The product boasts Worcester Bosch’s pioneering C6 Heat Exchanger, which is innovative and can modulate down to 4.8kW, improving the boiler’s energy-efficiency
- The boiler can be attached to a flue of up to 9m horizontally and 12m vertically, so it’s ideal for a variety of different properties
- The quick tap feature on the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000 allows homeowners to save water and energy, as well as enabling them to get hot water quickly
- This model is one of the brand’s quietest options, so it won’t disturb your household
- The Greenstar 2000 is fully compatible with 230V heating controls
- The boiler is easy to access and maintain, with most parts being removable in just seconds
- It has a replaceable mains cable to improve longevity and make it even easier to take care of the unit in the future
- Made by a respected boiler manufacturer, the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000 is reliable and will give you great service for more than a decade
- All of these cutting-edge features and functions come at a competitive price
Viessmann Vitodens 050-W
Viessmann is renowned for its energy-efficient boiler solutions, and the firm has been producing reliable, eco-friendly boilers and central heating systems for more than 100 years.
Today, the brand offers a wide variety of innovative solutions, including the wall-mounted Vitodens 050-W, an efficient, high-quality gas condensing combi boiler.
For a relatively low price, buyers can receive a compact boiler that has loads of the latest features and is designed with longevity in mind.
The team at Viessmann have aimed for quality and reliability with the Vitodens 050-W and it shows in every component of this boiler model.
From the stainless steel Inox-Radial heat exchanger to the digital interface with its bold LCD display, this is one of the best boilers on the market for tech-focused homeowners who want all of the latest functions for their new boiler.
Some of the other benefits of the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W are:
- The Vitodens 050-W boiler comes with two DHW output ratings, either 5.9 to 29 and 8 to 35 kW
- At just 37 Kg in weight and 707mm in height, the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W is light and compact, making it perfect for small properties with limited space
- As a light, compact boiler, this model is easy to transport and install, even in challenging properties such as a flat at the top of a building
- The boiler is quiet and unobtrusive
- The Vitodens 050-W comes with a 3-year warranty as standard, and you can extend this to a 7-year warranty
- The boiler is wall-mounted, and as such, it can be unobtrusively placed in a small recess or nook
- Viessmann offers a wide range of accessories to go alongside the Vitodens 050-W, including a tado° thermostat with a smartphone app, and an outside temperature sensor
- The brand is respected and renowned for its quality products, so you know that you will get great value from a Viessmann boiler such as this one
Ideal Logic C30
With more than a century’s experience creating boilers, Ideal Heating has a long history of providing some of the best combi boilers on the market.
The company’s Ideal Logic boiler range is popular with a wide range of homeowners and property developers thanks to its efficiency and quality.
The Ideal Logic C30 is a condensing gas boiler that comes in three different outputs: 24kW, 30kW and 35kW. As such, this boiler is a flexible option that can be perfect for small or larger properties.
Flexibility is something that Ideal Heating is dedicated to, and that’s why the firm offers 2-year parts and labour warranty on this boiler model, with a 10-year warranty on the heat exchanger.
Some of the other benefits of the Ideal Logic C30 are:
- The Ideal Logic C30 has a class A rating for water heating energy-efficiency, as well a class A rating as seasonal space heating efficiency, making it perfect for eco-conscious homeowners
- An energy-efficient boiler such as this will save you money on your energy bills over its lifetime
- The boiler is compact and has a maximum installed weight of just 29.0 Kg, making this a small boiler that’s ideal for installing in a compact cupboard
- Ideal Logic’s boiler comes with an innovative, easy-to-read digital display that’s backlight
- The pressure gauge is prominent, making the boiler easy to maintain and check
- It also has frost protection, which is great for British winters, as it will stop the boiler and its pipework from freezing over during the colder months
- Homeowners can convert the Ideal Logic C30 to LPG fuel using Ideal Heating’s conversion kit
- This model can be connected to a maximum of an 8m horizontal flue and a 7.5m vertical flue, meaning it’s perfect for a variety of different properties
- Alongside the features that come as standard with the Ideal Logic C30, Ideal Heating also offers additional accessories for this model, including a weather compensation kit and a radio frequency programmable digital thermostat
- Ideal Heating has been making boilers for more than 100 years, so you can rest assured that this is a quality product
Worcester Bosch 8000 Life and Style
Another high-quality product from the renowned boiler brand Worcester Bosch, the 8000 Life And Style is a replacement for the beloved Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDi Classic.
This new Worcester Bosch boiler retains all of the features of the Greenstar CDi Classic but is a modern update that means that the new model will give homeowners as much, if not more, comfort and satisfaction as its predecessor.
As mentioned above, Worcester Bosch is a highly-respected maker of quality boilers, and, as such, it’s unsurprising that two of the brand’s products appear in this list of the best combi boiler options for 2021.
The 8000 Life and Style comes as both a combi boiler and a system boiler. The combi boiler version comes in power outputs of 30kW to 50kW, so this is a powerful boiler that will work well for larger properties with big hot water requirements.
Some of the other benefits of the 8000 Life and Style are:
- The 8000 Life and Style is a wall-mounted gas combi boiler that fits well into any home
- The sleek, black design sets the boiler apart from others and will look great in any property
- This Worchester Bosch boiler is also available in white, meaning that you can choose the style that suits your tastes
- Part of the Greenstar range, the boiler is efficient and includes cutting-edge features
- These innovative features include a backlit digital display
- The boiler is quiet and unobtrusive, despite being powerful
- This modern design can be easily connected to smart heating controls, making this the perfect choice for tech-savvy homeowners
- It can also be used with the Bosch wireless EasyControl app, meaning owners can change the temperature in their home remotely from a connected smartphone or tablet
- This is one of the most powerful combi boilers on the market, making it perfect for larger homes with bigger hot water and heating requirements
- The boiler comes with up to a 12-year guarantee for peace of mind
- While the 8000 Life and Style is one of the most costly models on this list, it has a lot of additional style features and functions that make it worth the money for modern homeowners with large properties who want a combi boiler
Read more: Worcester Bosch 8000 Review
Alpha has been creating unique and powerful boilers and heating solutions for over 50 years, making the brand a comparative newcomer to the market.
After all, Alpha has around half the experience of some of the other boiler manufacturers on this list, but that doesn’t mean that the brand isn’t creating high-quality, unique boiler products that are more than capable of competing with the products from the brand’s more seasoned competitors.
The Italian boiler manufacturer is beloved by British homeowners and boiler engineers for its style and quality, which is epitomised in the Alpha E-Tec combi boiler.
This compact boiler is the smallest that Alpha has ever created, and designed with discretion in mind. It comes in a bright white finish so that it looks good and functions great.
Some of the other benefits of the Alpha E-Tec are:
- The Alpha E-Tec combi boiler has a combined condensate and pressure relief valve connection, as well as a cutting-edge stainless steel heat exchanger
- It also has a zinc-plated expansion vessel, which is designed to prevent corrosion and improve the longevity and performance of your new combi boiler
- This boiler model comes in two power outputs: 28.3 kW and 32 kW, making this a powerful combi boiler that will work well for medium to large homes
- The Alpha E-Tec combi boiler comes with a 7-year warranty as standard
- This pristine boiler is compact and will look great in most homes
- Alpha has designed the E-Tec combi boiler for ease of both use and maintenance
- As such, the parts are easily accessible for checking or maintaining the boiler
- Also, the digital display and prominent dials on the front is easy to view
- Alpha’s boilers are respected around the world, and as such, homeowners will know that they’re getting quality and innovation
What Is The Best Combi Boiler Size For Your Home?
While the brand, warranty, features and other considerations are a crucial part of your choice when you’re searching for the best combi boiler for your home, you also need to think about size, power output and capacity.
Many of the combi boilers listed above come in varying sizes and power outputs, so you need to make sure that you get the right size for your property.
If you choose a combi that isn’t powerful enough, then you might find that you have to wait for hot water or that the boiler doesn’t last as long as it should.
As such, you need to work out the best size of combi for your home before you commit to a specific make and model.
Below is a list of the size of a combi boiler that would be preferable for several different sized properties.
Combi Boilers For A 1-2 Bedroom Home
A small property with just 1 or 2 bedrooms only needs a small boiler, so you can choose a combi with around 20 to 27 kW power output.
Some of the best combi boiler models for a 1 to 2 bedroom home are:
- The Glow Worm Betacom 24a
- The Baxi Duo Tec Combi Boiler 24 kW
- The Ideal Logic C30 24 kW
Combi Boilers For A 2-3 Bedroom Home
Slightly larger homes with 2 or 3 bedrooms, which have larger hot water and heating needs, could benefit from a more powerful combi boiler.
Usually, the average home of this size could benefit from a combi boiler with a capacity of between 28 and 35 kW.
Some of the best combi boiler models for a 2 to 3 bedroom home are:
- The Glow Worm Betacom 30c
- The Vokera Easi Heat
- The Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000
- The Worcester Bosch 8000 Life and Style
- The Ideal Logic C30 35 kW
- The Alpha E-Tec
Combi Boilers For A 3-4 Bedroom Home
A house with 3 to 4 bedrooms is the largest size of property that is usually recommended for a combi boiler.
As a 3 to 4 bedroom home will have greater hot water requirements and more radiators, you will need a powerful combi boiler with 36 kW and above.
Some of the best combi boiler models for a 3 to 4 bedroom home are:
Obviously, these sizes are only general. If you have more bathrooms, ensuites or additional radiators, then you might need a more powerful boiler.
All of the boilers on this list of the best combi boiler model are listed here, but we’ve also included some of the best combi boilers we’ve seen over the years and reviewed them on Compare Boiler Quotes.
If you’re still unsure about the make, model and size of combi boiler that will work best in your property, then ask a Gas Safe registered heating engineer.
Compare Boiler Quotes has boiler experts and Gas Safe installers who can guide you to the best new combi boiler for your home and lifestyle, so you get the best solution.
What Is The Cost Of Combi Boiler Installation?
Using this list, you should be able to narrow down your search and find the best combi boilers for your size of property and budget.
Now, you need to think not just about boilers prices, but also about how much it will cost to get your new combi boiler installed.
When you’re having a gas combi boiler installed, you need to make sure that you get a certified Gas Safe heating engineer to collaborate with you on the project.
An experienced professional will be able to help you to find the best placement for your boiler and install it for you, giving you a certificate that proves that the boiler is safe and ready to use.
Installing a boiler yourself is not an option unless you are a registered professional, as you could damage both your boiler and your home.
Also, you might install the boiler incorrectly, which could lead to a gas leak and other dangerous issues that could potentially endanger you and your housemates or family.
As such, once you’ve researched the best combi boilers on the market and chosen the best boiler for your lifestyle, you need to get quotes for boiler installation.
Consider choosing a boiler installation company that can give you complete boiler prices that include installation costs.
For example, Compare Boiler Quotes offers a wide range of boilers for sale, and we also have a network of boiler engineers who can fit your boiler for you.
As such, you’ll get be able to find the best combi boiler and then help you install it, all for the best possible price.
Best boilers – Our conclusion:
Choosing the best combi boiler for your home can be challenging, as there are so many different options on the market to choose from, and all of the boiler manufacturers out there think that they offer the best combi boiler.
As such, you need to take the time to research the best combi boilers that have enough power to meet your hot water and heating needs.
Selecting the best boiler for your home isn’t just about looking at the best combi boiler makes and models.
It also means finding boiler quotes and boiler installation prices that will suit your needs and exceed your expectations.
So, if you’re searching for a new combi boiler in 2021, then you need to make sure that you get the perfect solution, at the best possible price.
If you check out the Compare Boiler Quotes online boiler price calculator, you can find your dream combi boiler at a price that suits you.
We can include the cost of getting a Gas Safe registered engineer to install your boiler so that you know how much everything will be before you commit.
Having the boiler installation costs and the boiler prices in front of you allows you to choose the best combi boiler for your property and budget.
Also, our extensive boiler range means that you will probably be able to find your dream new boiler and get the best boiler price when you shop with Compare Boiler Quotes.