Boiler Replacement & How To Get a New Boiler Guide UK 2024
When Do You Need a Boiler Replacement?
Typically, a replacement boiler or a new boiler is considered after a household has experienced breakdowns or intermittent issues; however, this guide will educate you on the following signs that a new boiler installation is deserved:
- When repairs are ridiculously expensive, and the warranty has expired.
- The cost of repairing the current boiler has prompted an issue of whether replacing it would be more cost-effective.
- Parts for a modern boiler are no longer available.
- The energy efficiency of the current boiler is decreasing. The bill-payer may notice a slight increase in energy demand as the boiler ages.
- You haven’t had it serviced in a long time. Servicing will help maintain the boiler, such as Vaillant boiler service.
Should I replace my boiler?
Nobody wants to replace or purchase a new boiler for their home, but it is critical to do so correctly when necessary to save money, time, and stress.
This guide will help you figure out everything involved in replacing your boiler, including the costs.
The boiler is a necessary component of modern homes, as it provides hot water for kitchen faucets, baths, and showers, as well as the central heating system.
If your boiler fails, your home will quickly become cold and you will lose access to hot water at your taps and other outlets.
With servicing for top brand boilers, like Viessmann boilers, then this may be able to keep your boiler going, but research the usual boiler service cost beforehand. However, your boiler may be beyond service and repair.
Traditional boiler replacement shopping is difficult, expensive, and exhausting, but nowadays online boiler companies have made it simple to do everything online, including getting a fixed price quote for a brand new boiler that includes full Gas Safe installation by a Gas safe engineer.
This boiler replacement installation guide will help you determine critical factors such as whether you need a new boiler, what happens during installation, and how much it will cost.
Introduction to a new boiler replacement
This is the most common question that people ask when considering a boiler replacement, and it should be considered throughout the decision because of the boiler cost and disruption in your home and life.
If your current boiler is heating your home well, your gas bills appear reasonable, and you have your boiler serviced once a year, replacing it with a new boiler may not be the best decision for you.
However, if your boiler is old, out of warranty, or you’re seeing boiler error codes and having to pay for repairs more than once a year, we strongly recommend replacing it. The key here for your home heating system and boiler replacement is to allow your wallet to experience short-term pain and long-term gain situation.
The cost of replacing a boiler varies depending on several factors
- The size of your home
- Home location e.g. Boiler Installation In London could be different if you were from Wakefield
- Number of radiators
- Availability of restrooms
- Your home’s boiler type, such as the best combi boiler or a system boiler.
- Choose your preferred model, for example, premium vs. mid-range.
- Your boiler can be moved from one location to another.
- Whether or not a boiler that is similar to the current one is installed If not, alterations to the system’s pipes, the placement of various components, or the removal or addition of water tanks, for instance, could be made.
- Any additional purchases you make, such as smart thermostats, filters, and so on
Combi boiler replacement
The most common type of replacement in the UK is a simple combi swap, which involves replacing your existing combi boiler with another, which is less expensive than converting from one boiler type to another, such as from a system boiler to a combi boiler.
These installation costs are higher because they require more work and man hours, as well as more materials like copper pipe, fixings, and the removal of a hot water tank.
Everything is determined by the type of boiler you choose.
We only compare boiler quotes from the most reputable boiler manufacturers in the UK. Every boiler replacement is tailored to your home’s needs as long as you request an accurate quote using our online boiler quote comparison tool.
How do I choose the best replacement boiler for my home?
Because new boiler installation costs can burn a hole in your pocket, it is critical to consider several factors before deciding on the best boiler for your home, including:
- What kind of boiler is required?
- How big of a boiler is needed?
- Which brand and type of boiler is preferred?
Different types of gas boiler replacements
The following are the most common types of boilers:
- They are ideal for tight quarters.
- There is no hot water storage tank or cylinder.
- There is no requirement for a cold water expansion tank.
- This is not recommended for large properties with multiple bathrooms or a high demand for hot water.
- It is essential to have reliable mains water pressure.
for more advantages and disadvantages on combi boilers click here
- There is no cold-water tank.
- Installation is simple.
- Low water pressure can be a problem.
- Better for larger properties with more modern central heating systems.
- It requires the installation of a hot water storage tank in a cupboard, which takes up space.
Regular Boilers (heat only)
- Perfect for homes with two or more bathrooms.
- More suitable for homes with low mains water pressure.
- They require a cistern to store the gas, so they are more demanding and have fewer replacement options.
- A cold water tank has the potential to freeze.
- Excellent for older central heating systems that cannot withstand higher water pressure.
What replacement boiler size should I get? (In kW, power output)
The power output of the boiler in KW, rather than the unit’s actual measurements or dimensions, is commonly referred to as boiler size.
A boiler’s power is measured in kilowatts, and the higher the kW rating, the faster it will heat water and can handle pushing this water around your home’s central heating system at the optimal temperature. A high KW boiler, on the other hand, will be too powerful for a smaller home.
The size of your boiler will be determined by home factors such as the number of people who live on your property.
If you have a large home, such as a 5-bedroom home with 2 bathrooms, you will need a higher output combi boiler or a system boiler.
You can be confident that when you compare new boilers with us, we will determine the appropriate size boiler for your home as long as you provide us with accurate information about your property.
Brand and preference
Boiler brands and models are typically chosen based on personal preference. There are numerous boiler options on the market, each with a different price, energy rating, warranty duration, and reliability.
Have a look at the Best Boiler Brands in 2023
To narrow down your options, conduct some online research for the best models for you with our free boiler quote helper.
The location of the new boiler
Do you want to replace your boiler but have it installed in a different location? Because it is easier and saves money, installing it in the same location as the old boiler is the most cost-effective option.
Moving your boiler to a different location is not an option.
Moving your boiler necessitates more time and materials, such as the installation of a new flue and the rerouting of your pipes through your home.
It can also lead to a slew of problems.
You can reduce your carbon footprint while also saving money on heating bills by choosing one of the most efficient boilers.
All boilers we compare are A-rated boilers. You can also purchase a smart thermostat such as Nest to reduce your energy consumption.
According to the Energy Saving Trust,
You could save around £580 and 1,500kg on carbon emissions each year by replacing your boiler with an A-rated boiler!
How long does it take to replace a boiler?
You’re probably aware that boiler replacement isn’t a quick process and that you’ll need to be at home all day, especially since some installations are more complicated than others.
A regular combi swap usually takes around 1 day to complete if done correctly by a competent Gas Safe registered heating engineer (we only use Gas Safe registered installers).
However, converting a combi boiler to a -system boiler will take several days if you are converting to a new condensing heating boiler type.
What is the best time to replace your boiler?
Boilers last on average 10 years. That’s about a decade to me. If your boiler is starting to wear, that’s an indication it may need to be replaced.
Here are some of the top reasons in the UK right now to replace your boiler.
- Inefficient, old boiler – Boilers older than ten years are classified as G-rated, with an efficiency rating of only 70%. We only compare brand new A-rated boilers, ensuring that your home is as energy efficient as possible.
- Beyond Economical Repair – A broken boiler is often very expensive to repair, especially if components such as a PCB or Heat Exchanger must be replaced; it may be cheaper to replace your boiler.
- Move your boiler – You may be dissatisfied with your boiler’s current location. At this new location, a new boiler can be installed. It will be accompanied by a new warranty.
- The current boiler is not meeting hot water demands – If your boiler is not producing hot water or heating as it should, you may need to replace it.
Regulations for boiler installation & replacements
When installing a boiler, numerous health codes must be followed. Acceptable boiler placement, where the flue can and cannot be located, whether the proper size of gas pipe has been installed, and whether the boiler has a high enough efficiency rating are all examples. The list is endless.
To be honest, there are so many codes to attach to when installing a boiler that it’s best to leave it to a qualified professional. You’ll know that all of the necessary regulations have been followed if the heating engineer is Gas Safe Registered, which we ensure.
To ensure you get the best deal, we recommend using our comparison quotes tool from the link provided below.
Compare new boilers and boiler replacements now
At Compare Boiler Quotes, we strive to provide you with the best boiler replacement options for you and your home. You select the boiler, but it should be strongly influenced by the size of your home, the type of property you own, who lives in your home, and the amount of water required.
We can provide you with boiler prices and options to compare; all you need to know is how much money you want to spend on your next replacement. Please contact us if you need help deciding on the best new boiler for your home.